Some of our current favourites for sneaking in those extra veggies:
Zucchini and Cheese Damper:
- Sift flour, salt & pepper together.
- Lightly rub in butter with your fingertips.
- Mix in cheese & zucchini and then add enough milk to combine.
- Mix quickly & turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly & form into a ball.
- With a floured knife cut a cross in the top of the damper & brush with egg if using.
- Place on a greased oven tray and bake at 425F for 20-25 mins or until golden & cooked through.
Broccoli and Cheese Smashed Potatoes:
- Halve the potatoes and add to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Cut broccoli into 1/2-inch pieces and add the broccoli to the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Drain and return to the hot pot. Stir in the milk, butter and cheese and mash until the cheese melts into potatoes and broccoli.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and enjoy!
Zucchini and Turkey Meatloaf:
- Mix together bouillon and hot water.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly and place in loaf pan or casserole dish.
- Cook at 350.F for 1.5 hours, or until cooked through.
1. Brown ground meat in a skillet and drain extra fat and liquid. Sprinkle garlic powder over meat.
2. Add ground meat to the crockpot and then add everything else, adding the beer last.
3. Mix together well to combine ingredients together.
4. Cook on low in crockpot for 6 hours.
1. Brown ground meat in a skillet and drain off excess fat2. Add diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and browned ground meat to large saucepan. Mix together well. Add in veggies and crushed garlic cloves.
3. Let sauce mixture simmer for at least an hour, preferably more.
To Assemble lasagna:
2. Add layer of sauce, spread half of cottage cheese container, and place more noodles,
3. Cover noodles with more sauce, spread the second half of the cottage cheese, add more noodles,
4. Add final layer of sauce to generously cover noodles and sprinkle grated cheese over the top liberally.
5. Cover lasagna with tin-foil and bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove tinfoil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
And then there's Desserts!
Carrot Cake Cookies:
For the Frosting:
For the Cookies:
- Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Using a rubber spatula, soften cream cheese. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Sift in confectioners' sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside. Combine sugars and butter; beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger; stir to combine. Gradually add flour to butter mixture; mix on a low speed until just blended. Mix in oats and carrots. Chill dough in refrigerator until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Using a 1/2-ounce ice-cream scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Transfer to oven, and bake until browned and crisped, rotating pan halfway through baking to ensure even color, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat baking process with remaining dough. Once cooled completely, spread about 2 teaspoons of cream-cheese filling onto a cookie. Sandwich together with a second cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Ice Cream Bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x4 loaf pan.
- Combine softened ice cream and self rising flour in bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool and serve!
Banana Chocolate Chip Softies:
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I usually use part white, part whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
2. Place flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; stir to combine.
3. Beat butter (margarine), granulated sugar and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed till light and fluffy.
4. Beat in mashed banana, egg and vanilla.
5. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed till blended.
6. Stir in chocolate chips with mixing spoon. (dough will be soft)
Pumpkin Toffee Muffins/Cupcakes:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degree F.
- In large mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and oil until smooth.
- Mix dry ingredients together in separate bowl.
- Combine dry mix into pumpkin mixture. Fold in SKOR bits.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full
- Bake at 400 F for 16-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely. Frost with cream cheese icing if desired.