Sunday, May 17, 2015

Tricycle Diaper Cake

One of my cousins recently had a baby shower, and like us, they were staying #TeamYellow. I always have a hard time trying to decide what to buy for showers because what one mom finds invaluable, might be totally useless to another mom. One thing that every mom needs though is diapers! Diapers although totally necessary, are not very cute or visually appealing. (Although very convenient to wrap!)

I've seen diaper cakes sold before at craft shows and stuff and decided I was going to look for one of those for her. The local baby boutique store had some lovely plain ones that were straight-up cake style, but they were very "girl" or "boy" and had a crap-ton of pins in them, which to me just sounds like a terrible idea in a baby gift. So I took matters into my own hands and decided to make my own diaper cake, that was both pin-less, and didn't damage or ruin ANY of the baby items in the cake. (like crunching all the diapers up into little rolls)


After some wandering around on the web I came across this awesome tutorial for making a Tricycle Diaper Cake. Although this was my guiding inspiration, I changed mine up a little bit. Rather than using a bib to make the "mud flap" I used another receiving blanket folded up, which also gave me the seat at the back. I didn't bother with the bottle part either, but I did add a rider to my tricycle. Since my cousin has asked for the Little Lambs crib set, I picked up a stuffed lamb to ride my tricycle.

The contents for my tricycle included: A Pack of 64 Pampers Size 1 Diapers, 3 Receiving Blankets, 1 Pair of Socks, 1 Stuffed Lamb.


I was pretty impressed with how easy it was to make an how well it turned out, and it seemed like everyone at the shower liked it too. One of my other cousins actually asked if she could use that idea for another shower she had coming up--so I call that a win!



AND, as promised, there isn't a single pin holding things together, and there's no tape on the diapers, and nothing is rolled, crumpled or otherwise unusable. This is a 100% functional shower gift that's also 100% adorable.

1 comment: